Worthington Tour of Homes & Gardens
July 14 @ 12:30 pm - 5:30 pm
Tickets on sale now at the Shop at the Old Rectory and Fritzy Jacobs. $15 per person pre-sale, $20 per person day of tour (Old Rectory ONLY). All ticket sales are CASH or CHECK ONLY
As we celebrate The Orange Johnson House’s Bicentennial, our 2019 home tour features a collection of 19th century homes and buildings that highlight the early architecture of Worthington. The private residences and commercial spaces featured on the tour have all been lovingly restored and remodeled, and many have taken care to incorporate and make visible original elements and building materials in their designs.
- An 1820s home, long occupied by the Griswold family, that has been moved twice and been extensively renovated.
- Two 1840s homes that have been renovated and restored to both accommodate modern families and retain original features.
- An 1842/1883 residence reflecting the Second Empire French Victorian style
- An 1860s farmhouse built in the Morris Addition
- The Kilbourn Commercial Building (1807), home to HER, which is the oldest surviving building in Worthington and the oldest commercial building in Ohio still standing on its original foundation and in continuous use since being built.
- The Buttles-Pinney-Brown House (1818), now home to the High Road Gallery, which was built to house both residential and commercial space. This is one of three properties on the tour known to have been built by Arora Buttles.
- The Orange Johnson House (1811/1819), which celebrates its Bicentennial this year. A slide show will be on view highlighting aspects of the homes history including the families that lived in the house through the 20th century and the WHS restoration.
- The Masonic Lodge (1820) built by brick mason Arora Buttles. The second story has been restored to retain its fine cornice and Masonic symbols. Lodge representatives will be on site to share their history.
- The Mattoon-Woodrow House, which was a stop on the Underground Railroad, now a private residence.
- The Old Rectory (1845), the Society’s headquarters, which will include a slide show featuring the buildings history from 1845 to the present and the building’s two moves along the way!
- The Sharon Memorial Hall (1861), originally built as a residence by Horace Wright and kept as a family home for three generations before becoming a War Memorial in 1945.
- A walking tour of Fox Lane; the area where the Worthington Manufacturing Company was located from 1812 to the 1820s. The structure used as a boarding house survives today.