The city of Worthington has contained four cemeteries: the now inactive but well maintained St. John’s Episcopal Cemetery, the abandoned Methodist and Presbyterian Cemeteries, and the currently active Walnut Grove Cemetery. A database is also maintained on the Worthington Library website for the Flint Rd. Cemetery north of town in Sharon Township.
The first burial in St. John’s Episcopal Cemetery east of the present church building was Scioto Company pioneer and Revolutionary War veteran Abner Pinney who died November 23, 1804. Until the 1830s this burying ground served the entire community. After the Methodists erected their first church building on the northwest corner of Hartford and South Streets in 1823, they established a one-acre burying ground to the southeast. This became inactive after the establishment of Walnut Grove and known graves were removed, primarily to Walnut Grove. After the erection of the first Presbyterian Church on the northwest quadrant of the Village Green in 1830, a burying ground was established to the west. Here, too, known burials were moved to Walnut Grove. No markers or transcriptions exist for either of these cemeteries.
Walnut Grove Cemetery is typical of the community “lawn cemeteries” which became popular in mid-nineteenth century. The first burial was James Taylor on January 29, 1859. Ten acres of the Hoyt farm southwest of town were purchased for this cemetery and from the beginning it was jointly owned and maintained by Sharon Township and the city of Worthington. It continues to serve the Worthington community and is the site of annual Memorial Day services.
Visit the Worthington Memory Web site to access a searchable database of cemeteries in Worthington, Ohio. Click the link below to go there now: